About the project
Who we are
Reciproca is an NGO founded at the beginning of 2014 with the purpose of developing a cultural climate and social responsibility. Reciproca was founded by young artists and professionals who share the passion for work that is oriented towards the community and for connecting people. Lorand Maxim and Leta Popescu are emerging directors interested in current social issues. Oana Hodade is an actress and writer, and a coordinator for various interdisciplinary projects (LeCtura, Ideilada, GOG-living library). Lucia Marneanu is a performer and an illustrator, and is interested in social and community arts. Radu Bogdan is a media producer and video editor, and is passionate about media and communication. Atilla Almasi is a light and sound designer and is interested in performance and cinema.
Focus Atelier is our most extensive project, which has brought our strengths together.
What is Focus Atelier?
Focus Atelier is a platform that organizes a marathon-month of workshops and debates.
Our main strength is the relevance/importance of the subjects approached, as well as the interdisciplinarity and the accessibility of our events for all interested people. We don’t want to let people’s financial situation stand in the way of their participation, free expression and possibility to learn. We propose a process of voluntary education that is based on curiosity and the pleasure of knowing. For these reasons, the attendance to all Focus Atelier events is free of charge. The first edition of Focus Atelier happened last year, during the entire month of March. In 2015, the topic of the workshops and debates was the art-society dynamics. This year we are tackling education.
What will happen at Focus Atelier 2016?
This year we will have four sections:
4. TROC - Educational theatre network
In the WORKSHOP sections we’ll have five workshops:
- Theatre of participatory communities - held by Radu Apostol and Mihalea Michailov is aimed at acquiring knowledge and abilities to develop and implement a project working with a certain community.
- Knowing your rights and Herstory - held by Milena Nikolic is aimed at gaining knowledge, critical approach abilities and working towards finding solutions for the gender inequality problem.
- The Art of Spectatorship - held by Miruna Runcan focuses on the experience of one’s perception on theatrical and cinematic productions, aiming for the stimulation of the analytic and perceptual abilities.
- The feedback method - held by Sonja Jokiniemi is designed for artists, as well as amateurs, the workshop provides participants with hints on giving a relevant and productive feedback for individuals involved in the making of a performance or a show.
In the DEBATE section we invite you to talk about:
- Theatrical pedagogy. The theater of children and teens – will examine the scarcity of the performances that focus on childhood and adolescence issues.
- Gender equality. Where do we stand? – will debate on issues such as sexism, lookism and machism, while trying to identify to what extent can we map the gender equality discourse to the Romanian society realities.
- Pedagogy and social equality – a debate that addresses the role pedagogy can have in moulding
social dynamics; we will discuss how different pedagogical initiatives or lack of them can perpetuate social imbalance or can be key to solving it.
- Educational urgencies and alternatives - this debate is designed as an attempt to reiterate the necessity, the motivation and the
sustainability of the initiative that is Focus Atelier.
In the TROC - Educational theatre network section, 5 performances will travel on the Bucharest – Cluj – Sibiu route:
- In Front of Rights, a Replika Educational Theatre center – Bucharest production - will be performed at The Paintbrush Factory, Cluj-Napoca.
- School Age Memories, a production by the A.D.O Association and the Comedy Theater - will be performed at the Reactor of creation and experiment, Cluj-Napoca.
- Bad Kids, a Replika Educational Theatre center – Bucharest production - will be performed at the Gong Theater, Sibiu.
- The Missing, a production by the Reactor of creation and experiment from Cluj-Napoca - will be performed at the Replika Educational Theatre center in Bucharest.
- I guess I'll never get over it a production by the Reactor of creation and experiment from Cluj-Napoca - will be performed at the Gong Theatre in Sibiu.
For a detailed view of our sections, what each of them means and why we wanted to make this happen, you can access our Focus Atelier presentation brochure.
Why we need you
Making Focus Atelier happen requires a sum of 62.000 RON (14.000 Euro) meant to cover: accommodation, national and international transportation, meals and remuneration for the 6 trainers, logistics and promotion costs – venues, technical equipment, posters and brochures, graphic and web design, remuneration for the project team and collaborators.
Several cultural organizations, art venues and educational institutions showed their solidarity with our initiative. We’ve managed to cover more than half of this amount thanks to our partnerships and the facilities received. Going forward we are looking for funds to cover the 35% of the minimum necessar to make this project happen. With your support we’d like to cover the budget categories which we find most difficult to obtain. These would be the trainers’ international transportation, the itineration of the theatre performances and remuneration for the internship team and for our collaborators.
Together we can create a space where we are all teachers and students, were we learn freely from each other and where knowing means experimenting and creating. With your contribution, you are helping an alternative education develop, one that is responsible towards the community and its members.
For filming, editing and concept we thank our friends Ioana Pop, Radu Bogdan and Denisa Nistor. For everything that organizing Focus Atelier means, we thank Carina Bunea, Emma Dima, Răzvan Cîmpean, Ani Mărincean, Ioana Sileanu.
Sponsors and Partners
National Cultural Fund Administration, Gong Theater (Sibiu), Replika Educational Theater Center, Reboot the Roots, Transylvanian Donors’ Sphere, Some People, Reactor creation and Experiment, Cluj Makers, Zug Zone, Paintbrush Factory, ColectivA, Tranzit House, Tranzit.ro, Desire Foundation, The Faculty of Theatre and Television, The Faculty of Sociology, Casino – Urban culture center – Cluj-Napoca.